If you are not seeing the same object in your finderscope and your eyepiece, your finderscope is probably out of alignment. Here’s a quick tutorial on how to align your finderscope with the OTA.
- Set your telescope on a solid base. Outdoors would be ideal, but if you have to do this indoors, as long as you have access to a window, it should be fine.
- Insert your eyepiece into the telescope. Choose the one with the lowest power or magnification.
- Point the telescope at an object that is at least a half mile away and center it in the field of view. A good object is the top of a roof or a light post.
- Look through the finderscope. If you don’t see the same object in the center, adjust the knobs on the finderscope mount until it appears in the same central point in the field of view.
- Replace the eyepiece with the next step up on magnification.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each of your eyepieces.
For a visual tutorial, watch the video below. Enjoy the video.